Lee J Brockway Scholarship
The MWGL Lee J Brockway Scholarship is a regional competitive, merit based award program designed to provide financial support for high school students accepted into college. Each academic year, one (1) student will be selected as the recipient of a $1,000 scholarship award. The student selected should be intending to enroll in a field related to educational facility planning and design. These would include, but not be limited to, architecture, engineering, interior design, facility planning, and construction management.
to download the Lee J Brockway Scholarship Application form.
Deadline: Friday, February 24, 2023 by 5:00 pm
The MWGL Region seeks students who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Reside in one of the following locations: States of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and the province of Ontario, Canada.
- Currently enrolled in the twelfth grade.
Characteristics Sought in Candidates
The MWGL Region seeks students who demonstrate a balance of the following characteristics:
- Outstanding character, integrity, and self-motivation.
- Outstanding leadership potential.
- Active participation in school and community activities.
- The Lee J Brockway Application Form.
- A 1,000 words maximum essay.
- Official high school transcript through the 1st semester of senior year (or equivalent).
- College or university acceptance letter (provide a copy of your application if not yet accepted).
- Three letters of recommendation which cannot be from family members.
Lee J Brockway Scholarship information packets
, with all required submission forms, are available upon request from Julie Fried
. The entire scholarship submission requirements will be accepted by email ONLY
delivery to Julie Fried at [email protected]
. Completed application must be received no later than 5:00 pm on February 24, 2023
All submissions must be in PDF format, and contained in one PDF. Please save your submission as: First Name, Last Name-Lee J. Brockway.
Applications will be evaluated on a 100 point system. Point values will be assigned as follows:
- Completed Application – 10 points
- Grade Point Average – 10 points maximum
- 4.0 on 4.0 Scale – 10 points
- 3.5 – 3.99 – 8 points
- 3.0 – 3.49 – 6 points
- 2.5 – 2.99 – 4 points
- Less than 2.5 – 2 points
- Letters of Recommendation – 15 points (total)
- Essay – 35 points
- Clarity of Expression
- Knowledge of Subject
- Interpretative Conclusions
- Importance and Validity
- Leadership – 15 points (total)
- Community Service – 15 points (total)
The Lee J Brockway Scholarship can be received only once. The Scholarship may be used only for pre-approved tuition, fees, books, and room and board. Payments from the Scholarship fund may be used to supplement, but not to duplicate, benefit from the educational institution or from other foundations, institutions, or organizations. The Scholarship recipient may defer for up to one year his/her scholarship award after completion of their high school. The MWGL Region reserves the right to publish submitted winning essays.